What is an AGV?
An Autonomous or Automated Guided Vehicle (AGV) is a set of driver-less cooperative vehicles coordinated by a centralized or distributed computer-based computer system that are used on manufacturing floors.
They are compacted wheeled conveyances that transport goods along defined paths set by the guidance systems.
Why is it useful to you?
AGVs are key if you want to transition to a fully automated production line. The strength of AGVs comes from their simple implementation and the way in which they prompt smart facility-process and material handling improvements. They transport different kinds of products without human intervention, reducing costs and increasing efficiency and productivity.
Common AGV applications:
AGVs can be used in a wide variety of applications to transport many different types of materials including trolleys, pallets, rolls, racks, carts, and containers. The most common applications include:
- Work-in-progress movement – repetitive movement of materials throughout the manufacturing process is a very common AGV application
- Pallet handling – since the repetitive movement of pallets is very common in manufacturing and distribution facilities, pallet handling is an extremely popular application for AGVs
- Finished product handling – for moving finished goods from manufacturing to storage or shipping before they are delivered to customers, AGVs are the perfect solution to handling this type of of product
- Hazardous materials handling – if the material or product to be carried or the operating environment may be dangerous to a human operator, it is best left to an AGV
- Assembly process on trolley carried by AGVs – in order to obtain much more flexibility, manual assembly operations can be performed on trolley while the AGV is waiting for a trigger from the operator after the assembly process is done
AGVs increase efficiency and reduce costs by helping to automate a manufacturing facility or warehouse. Some key benefits below:
- High reliability – respond to the needs of operators in a timely and precise manner
- Flexibility – AGVs can be installed into existing facilities with little to zero modifications
- Higher productivity – reduce direct labor costs, long service life, can operate 24/7
- Increased safety – safe and predictable method of delivery, can operate in conditions that may not be suitable to human operators
- High precision – reduce human accidents, better precision in movements
How can SEE Engineering help you?
SEE Engineering offers a integration services of automated guided vehicles (AGVs) that will help you increase efficiency and reduce costs by automating your manufacturing facility or warehouse. We integrate the highest quality autonomous guided vehicles for the most demanding applications.
We have experience in both integration and designing additional accessories in a wide range of sectors and we can guarantee to meet your requirements.
For any of your inquiries, do not hesitate to contact us at any time.