What is Electrical Testing?
Electrical testing is a very broad term that covers multiple areas of inspection of different systems that use electrical currents to flow. It is essential to make sure that a product that uses electricity functions within safe operating standards.
Electrical testing also ensures a safe working environment, free of unnecessary risks, and that an employer complies with regulatory standards to avoid regulatory penalties.
In its most basic form, it consists of applying a current or voltage to a circuit and comparing the measured value to an expected result through the use of electrical test equipment. This equipment verifies the math behind circuits.
Types of Electrical Testing
There are multiple kinds of electrical testing, depending on the type of electrical equipment being used and the risks associated with it, including the following:
- RCD Testing – testing of residual current devices to reduce the risk of failure as a result of direct exposure to high-voltage currents
- High Voltage Testing – applying a significantly higher than operating voltage to a device to test if the insulation of the product is not breached
- Insulation Resistance Testing – measuring the total resistance of a product
- Earth Continuity Testing – measuring the resistance between the ground and the outside metal body of the product tested
- Leakage Current Testing – measuring the undesirable leakage current that flows through the surface of the insulation
It is crucial to know what equipment to use for each test and to also understand the limitation of the equipment used.
Electronic Test Equipment
Testing and test devices are key to any electronics design, development, production, and maintenance activity. There are many different forms of test instruments that can be used. Digital multimeters are the most common ones, but there are many others, including oscilloscopes, signal generators, spectrum analyzers, logic analyzers and many more.
How can SEE Engineering help you?
Electrical component test systems often need industry-specific components to complete a test system. SEE Engineering provides industrial electrical test equipment solutions for applications worldwide. We develop custom electrical testing devices to test electrical components and systems.
If you’re looking for electrical testing solutions, please reach out to us here and have a chat.