Lasers are great tools for performing a wide variety of tasks. Laser marking (of which laser engraving is a subset) has become the go-to (and in some cases required) process in many industrial sectors that require direct part marking, from automotive to aerospace, marine, or even medical applications.
It is crucial for regulation and tracking components to permanently and very accurately mark machined parts with clear identification, and laser marking is the perfect solution.
What is Laser Marking?
The process of laser marking involves a beam of light interacting with material surfaces, changing its appearance through permanent and precise markings. The process doesn’t do any damage, making it a great solution for materials that can’t have labels.
The low-stress impact of laser marking also makes it the best choice for applications where quality and strength are necessary, such as aerospace or automotive manufacturing.
Laser marking is suitable for a wide range of materials, including metals (aluminum, stainless steel, brass, copper, chromium, titanium), ceramics, and plastics (ABS, Plexiglas, PBT, polycarbonate, polyethylene).
In laser engraving, the laser beam removes some of the surface material, producing a mark on the surface in the form of depressions. This process is suited for a large number of materials that include metals, plastics, stone, and ceramics.
During the engraving process, the material absorbs the heat produced by the laser, melts, and evaporates. The material also reacts with the air, making it change its color, thus resulting in an even more distinctive mark.
Because there are no consumables involved, laser engraving has lower operational costs compared to other methods that use drills or special inks.
Advantages of Laser Marking
There are many advantages to choosing laser marking over other possible methods. Here are some of the main ones:
- Non-contact process – there is no damage to the material by abrasion
- Precision – can be used to make marks on very small objects with impressive accuracy
- Environmentally safe – does not produce any toxic byproducts
- Low cost – needs little manpower for operating the system
- Adjustable for different materials – the same system is suitable for different types of materials
- Safe process – no toxic fumes or waste products are formed in the marking process
- The durability of markings – permanent markings with high contrast that withstand heat, abrasion, and even acids
How can SEE Engineering help your business?
Through laser marking, SEE Engineering can help you achieve the following:
- Improve quality control procedures through the addition of traceable information to components
- Add logos and/or other branding information permanently and clearly
- Include bar codes, date codes, serial numbers with high accuracy
- Add CE marking for EU compliance, as well as additional compliance indicators
- Mark cables, printed circuit boards, and other electronic components
For any of your inquiries, do not hesitate to contact us at any time.